Initially the branch was operated by steam power, often a rail-motor, but the Croxley Green electric service commenced on 30th October 1922 (the electrification of the Rickmansworth branch being the last part of the project to be completed and electric trains did not run on that line until 26th September 1927). In October 1922, after electrification was complete, there were 25 trains running to and from Watford and in 1925, the Watford to Croxley Green local service, which had been weekdays only, was extended to cover Sundays. However, by the 1940's, the Sunday service was axed, along with the late evening workings.
In 1988, an attempt was made to revive the fortunes of the Croxley Green branch by running a twice hourly daytime service. However, Croxley Green station had fallen into a bad state of disrepair by this time with the single platform being boarded up and a temporary structure erected on either side of the line. Late in 1989 the rotting original platform was demolished, together with much of the original Watford West station structure. From January 1990 the Watford to Croxley service was reduced to one 7.00am return working from Watford Junction on weekdays only.
In 1996 a new road cut through the line just east of the Grand Union Canal bridge, severing the route between Watford West and Croxley Green. For a short time services were replaced by a bus and then by an occasional taxi. The branch was 'formally closed' in 2001.
Proposals were put forward to link the Metropolitan Line from Croxley to Watford, but have now been shelved (2019).
West of Watford - Watford Meropolitan & the L.M.S. Croxley Green and Rickmansworth branches by F.W. Goudie & Douglas Stuckey, published by Forge Books 1990. An invaluable source of information studded with photographs.
Underground History - North of Harrow and Wealdstone - Hywel Williams. A history of the line and several photos can be found here of the disused branch line showing it in its entire length. http://underground-history.co.uk/croxley.php
Wikepedia: Watford and Rickmansworth Railway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watford_and_Rickmansworth_Railway
Nick Catford: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/watford_west/index.shtml
- Around West Watford
- Brightwells Farm
- Cardiff Road - Gallery One
- Cassiobury Miniature Railway
- Colne Valley Light Railway
- Colney Butts
- Heritage Event 2017
- Isolation Hospital
- Museum Exhibition
- NHS@70 Exhibition
- New Memorial Cross at St. Michael's
- Old Postcard Views & Photographs
- Places of Worship
- Poppies, Poetry & Peace
- Street Plaques
- Sun Clock Tower
- Watford - Croxley Branch Line
- Watford Community Fair 2015
- Watford General Hospital
- West Watford Pubs
- Workhouse Bricks
- WW1 Exhibition - Heritage Weekend
- WWCA 40th Anniversary
Rembrandt House in Whippendell Road is a locally listed Edwardian building from the early 1900s, once the Watford Speedometer and Magneto W...
The following presentation was displayed in September 1914 at the Church of St Michael and All Angels in West Watford as part of the 2014 ...
Isolation Hospital Through the 18 th and up to the late 19 th century, if you were unfortunate enough to contract an infectious dise...
Brightwells Farm A History Brightwells Farm lies at the southern end of Vicarage Road, just over a mile from Watford and about a qu...
W H HUMPHREYS & SON REMOVALS Our Founder, the Great Grandfather of the current Managing Director, William Henry Humphreys, commenc...
Watford Glass Company The Watford Glass Co Ltd appears to have been in manufacturing from the late 1920's to the early 1990's....
Watford Workhouse Bricks The building fronting Vicarage Road next to the football ground, formerly known as Shrodells, was initially...
S.W. Hertfordshire from a map of 1610 West Watford - A Brief History Much has been researched and written about the town of Wa...
A history of Victoria Schools in West Watford As the demand for land and houses in Watford grew, parcels of land came up for sale. Beginn...
The Sun Clock Tower, as it is known, is a former industrial pump house and clock tower located to the south of the junction of Ascot Road ...