Scammell lorries, tolpits Lane
This factory produced the worlds first 100 Ton Lorry, along with 2700 Army Tractors, used in World War II, and the Heavy Haulage and Heavy Delivery Vehicles.
Scammell Lorries Limited became a member of the Leyland Group, during the 1950s, and continued to construct vehicles at its Watford factory, until the Leyland Group was purchased by DAF BV of Holland, in 1987.
The Tolpits Lane factory was finally closed in July, 1988.
On Tolpits Lane, West Watford, there is a housing estate that is built on the old Scammell Lorries Limited Factory site.
Scammell Lorries Limited manufactured trucks, particularly specialist and military off-highway vehicles, from 1921 to 1988.
The estate that now covers this site has roads that are named after various Scammell Lorries, including; Crusader Way, Himalayan Way,Pioneer Way and Explorer Drive.
The plaque (see below), on the side of one of the buildings fronting Tolpits Lane, was unveiled in 2012, to mark the historical importance of this site.
The Highwayman Public House that used to stand opposite the factory was named not after a Dick Turpin type character, but after one of the first trucks to roll off the production line (although the flats now standing on the site are named Turpin Court!)
For more detailed information, a link to the Scammell Register can be found here: http://www.scammellregister.co.uk/history-of-scammell.html
Above photograph May 1928 - many other photos of this area can be found on the Britain From Above Website
Photographs below and information provided by Daryl Morrissey
The former Scammell Lorry site in its heyday and the housing complex on the site now.
'In memory of the employees of Scammell Lorries Limited who laid down their lives in the second Great War'
On display at Watford Museum