Fowler's Jam Company
Fowler's Jam Company was founded in 1905 by H.W. Fowler and A.E.D. Fowler and had premises at 29/43 Sydney Road, Watford. They produced jam, marmalade and mincemeat. In 1938 the business was expanded and products were distributed over a wide area, including London and the Home Counties, Southern England and parts of the Midlands. Goods were not packed for export. The firm closed in about 1960.
An advert produced at the time (1930's) stated:
"FOWLER BROS. (PRESERVES) LTD."
29/43 SYDNEY ROAD, WATFORD
TELEPHONE 4257 (3 lines)
Jam, Marmalade and Mincemeat
In 2001, Mr Stewart Mold contacted the Hertfordshire Genealogy website with a query regarding his family research. He was particularly interested in what had become of his Great Aunt Clara Mold who had married Henry William Fowler in the summer of 1896. He had discovered in the 1902 Kelly's Directory for Herts that a Henry William Fowler, Grocer, had an address at 152 St Albans Road, Watford. Then in 1929 there was a H.W. Fowler living at 77 Rickmansworth Road, along with several other Fowlers.
In 2002 there was a further response to this from Mr Stuart Fowler who brought the matter up to date. He stated that his grandfather Hugh Russell Fowler had passed away in December 1999 and his grandmother, Edna Ethel Fowler passed away in June 2002. Together with Hugh's brother John Fowler, they had owned the factory site at Sydney Road. Though then currently occupied by five different firms as a kind of mini industrial estate, it was then owned by his father Malcolm George Fowler, his uncle Richard Fowler and Jon Fowler.
In March 2004, an article appeared in the Watford Observer called "Spooning Out The Wasps". It gives a wonderful insight into life in the jam factory.